Learn how to make it here!
Honestly, I don’t know about you guys, but cupcakes make me so happy. I’m on a first name basis with the lady who runs the local cupcake shop in my town. I visit at LEAST three times a week just to satiate my cupcake cravings. I’ve wracked up so many frequent customer points that I barely have to shell out money for these treats any more and you know what? Sadly, cupcakes just don’t really show up all that often in anime, so I never have much of an excuse to make them at home! That and the fact that my local cupcake shop is convenient, delicious, and perfect in every way. But, when I saw this episode of Black Clover I knew in my heart that this was going to have to change. I couldn’t buy this cupcake from my local cupcake shop, so I’d either have to make it, or go without.
And, well, I can’t say no to a good looking cupcake, so I decided to make it.
Cake, as it appears in anime, typically is always of the sponge cake variety. Japan sure loves sponge cake. Unfortunately, I do not love sponge cake, so I was pleastly surprised to see that this cupcake doesn’t actually look like a sponge cake at all. Maybe it’s just me overanalyzing the picture, but the cake looks pretty dense, with a fine crumb. As a result, I decided to go with a firm pound cake base, since it’s nice and heavy and pairs well with fruit, which I already knew I’d be decorating it with. As for the frosting, it looks quite smooth and thick, leaving me with a few options: a white chocolate ganache or icing. I decided to go with a white chocolate ganache to get that smooth frosting appearance while still maintaining the opacity in the frosting. Also, the flavor would be a bit more nuanced than just a straight sugar and milk icing. Since ganache is incredibly easy to throw together with professional-looking results, I decided to go with a ganache.
All-in-all, this recipe is quick, easy, and, most importantly, delicious. It results in a really great looking cupcake as well! If you want to impress someone with your cooking skills, this cupcake is an easy way to show off without doing too much actual work in the kitchen. Best of all, they would make a great welcoming gift for any occasion- whether it be to welcome someone into your magic guild or to take to a dinner party, especially during this holiday season!
To start making your own, watch the video below for more instructions!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
*Recipe adapted from here*
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 10 oz white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cream
- Pink food gel coloring
- Sugar Pearls, in yellow, green, blue, and pink
To Make the Cupcakes:
1. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir together and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Scrape down the bowl and add in eggs, three at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Remove from stand mixer, and stir in vanilla.
4. Stir in one third of the flour mixture, then one half of the buttermilk, then one third of the flour mixture, then the rest of the buttermilk, followed by the rest of the flour mixture. Stir well after each addition, so that no lumps form and everything is evenly incorporated.
5. Divide batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top of the cake is springy to the touch. Allow to cool completely.
6. While the cupcakes are in the oven, make ganache. Heat cream in the microwave until hot, and pour over chocolate chips. Let sit about 5 minutes, and then add in a drop of two of the food coloring. Stir together until chocolate chips melt completely and you have a smooth ganache. Set aside on the counter about 3 hours to allow it to firm up and reach the right consistency.
7. When ganache is ready, and cupcakes have completely cooled, dip the cakes to cover the top with ganache. Decorate with sugar pearls and a strawberry.